Tuesday, September 9, 2008

How much is that really costing you?

One thing that can have a big impact on finances are the little things that we buy everyday. Author David Bach calls it the 'latte factor'. Usually done during the week when we are on our way to work, at work already. It's the $7.00 coffee or the $1.00 bag of candy every afternoon or the 3/$1.00 cookies you see where this is going. Well, you may not think you have one, but I think we all do. For me it was a bagel every morning. I was able to justify this purchase because it was cheaper to buy a bagel from the firm cafe than from across the street. But the thing about a little thing, it multiplies.

Take for example a $1 bagel every morning. That comes to $20 per month. Or worse that $7 cup of coffee every day before work: $140 per month. OMG!!! What could you do with an extra $140.

What is my latte factor? I think it's the multiple trips to the grocery store during the week. Every time I go I am paying in gas, tax and time. If I just make one trip at the beginning of the month it would save me time and money. Another money waster is taking my son to get fast food every Friday, that is just a waste. He doesn't need to be eating that junk any way. But in the back of my mind, I sometimes think it's just $5.00, but it really can add up after a while.

Happy moments:
I won a free trip to Mexico for next summer, my son is doing very well at school, I got a good nights sleep (can never be too many of those), a free haircut, no bills in the mail, recieved payment for my ebay sale.

No comments: